Recommended Livestream settings
In order for an optimal livestream without interruptions it is very important that you properly adjust your encoder settings to avoid poor video quality or transmission outages during the event.
One of the most important things is to secure that you have a good uplink performance. You need to test the uplink connection with a speed test software such as Speedtest. You should make sure that your measured uplink speed is at least 3x the bitrate you intend to use during the event. If you are using a wireless connection either using 3G/4G network or WLAN it is even more important to allow for plenty of safety margin. The performance of wireless networks depends on the people using the networks and hence the actual available bandwidth for you can vary a lot over time depending how many other people are at the venue.
We recommend to use a fixed network connection to ensure a continuosly good connection at the venue.
We provide several pre-defined streaming profiles to ensure optimal stream quality based on your content and settings. With each of the streaming profiles we make multiple enodings so that you have a good multi-bitrate stream. For the 720p and 1080p resolutions we provide possibilities to do standard bitrate, high bitrate or passthrough. You can achieve the highest quality by selecting the passthrough option but then you need to make sure you follow our settings below for the stream.
Depending on your content you might want to optimize for a higher frame rate or a higher resolution. Fast motion sports content will for example typically benefit from having 60fps at a 720p instead of 30fps at 1080p.
The streaming profiles and the required input bitrates can be selected from the list below:
- 480p: 2-3Mbps
- 720p: 4-6Mbps
- 720p High bitrate: 5-7Mbps
- 720p passthrough: 3-6Mbps
- 1080p: 5-7Mbps
- 1080p High bitrate: 7-10Mbps
- 1080p passthrough: 5-10Mbps
- Protocol: RTMP
- 720p: H.264 High Profile, level 4.1
- 1080p@30fps: H.264 High Profile, level 4.1
- 1080p@60fps: H.264 High Profile, level 4.2
- Frame rate: up to 60 fps (no variable frame rate)
- Keyframe frequency: Recommended setting 2 seconds
- Bitrate encoding: CBR (no variable bitrate)
- Frame types: Progressive Scan, 2 B-Frames, 1 Reference Frame
- Entropy coding: CABAC
We do not support interlaced input sources and will result in unacceptable image quality.
- Codec: AAC
- Audio sample rate: 48 KHz
- Audio bitrate: 128 Kbps stereo